Lisbellaw United 1-0 Dergview Reserves

Strathroy Harps 3-2 Lisbellaw United
14th January 2019
26th January 2019
Show all

Lisbellaw United 1-0 Dergview Reserves

We secured a vital three points on Saturday when we defeated Dergview Reserves on Saturday 1-0 at Drumad, with Paul McGrath getting the winner just before half time. We started the game superbly and the vast majority of the opening period was spent in the visitors half.

The influential McGrath and strike partner Paul Elliott were causing the visitors defence all sorts of problems with their movement and link up play, whilst Jordan Cadden and Ryan Lindsay were dominating the midfield area. Aaron Lindsay and Sam Lindsay both we’re getting in to dangerous positions but the Dergview defence were weathering the early storm.

After this we got a bit sloppy, but still remained on top. Sean Keenan hit the bar with a thunderous free kick, McGrath had a shot blocked, Elliott had a shot saved and were forced numerous corners. Just before the half time whistle, Dergview were reduced to 10 men when Ryan Lindsay burst past their centre back only to be cynically fouled right on the edge of the box leaving the referee no option but to show him his second yellow of the game. Keenan struck the free kick which was saved by the Dergview keeper. However, moments later we made the break through we deserved, Lewis Vance and Aaron Lindsay combined down the right and a low cross was dummied by Elliott at the near post and the onrushing McGrath blasted home for what proved to be the only goal of the game.

In the second half Dergview to their credit threw everything at us and we failed to make our numerical advantage count. We did have chances to extend our lead with Sam Lindsay, McGrath, Elliott and Cadden all having shots blocked or saved.

At the other end Gareth Carrothers had replaced Jamie Coalter at centre half and both he and Stuart Cochrane had to make vital headed clearances late on. Vance and Aaron Lindsay were on hand to make telling interceptions, and with Sam McDonald off his line sharply to thwart any danger, we held on relatively comfortably for the remainder of the game to claim a hugely important and well deserved three points. We travel to Kesh this Saturday for another vital game as we continue our fight to claim away from danger.

Comments are closed.