Lisbellaw United 2-4 Magheraveely

Lisbellaw United 1-1 Mountjoy United
4th March 2019
Stule United 2-6 Lisbellaw United
31st March 2019
Show all

Lisbellaw United 2-4 Magheraveely

We exited the Mulhern Cup following a disappointing 4-2 defeat at home to Magheraveely. In a realtively unchanged line-up, we welcomed back Matthew Woods in to the squad, which turned out to be an eventful home coming for the defender. We started well and within the first 10 seconds we had a glorious opportunity. We took kick off and four passes later we released Sam Lindsay whose pinpoint cross fell perfectly for Aaron Lindsay but unfortunately he volleyed over from close range.

We bossed the opening period but Magheraveely drew first blood when they bundled the ball over the line following their first attack after about 20 minutes. This really buoyed the visitors, and our performance for the remainder of the first half was poor to say the least. No energy, hunger or desire as the game meandered meaninglessly towards half time.

We were then dealt another blow early in the second half when the Magheraveely striker raced through to calmly finish and double his tally for the day. To make Matters worse, Matthew Woods then received two bookings for dissent meaning we then had to play the last 40 minutes with 10 men. To our credit, we battled hard and managed to force our way back in to the tie when Paul McGrath drilled home to throw us a lifeline. We then equalised moments later when Ryan O’Keefe clipped an excellent cross to the back post for McGrath to head home. At this point we were in the ascendancy and when Jordan Cadden played in Paul McGrath it looked like we were to complete a remarkable comeback but their keeper was sharp off his line to smother the danger.

Then, with only a few minutes remaining a nothing cross seemed to catch our defence out and the visiting striker was able to complete his hat-trick from close range. A goal out of nothing and completely against the run of play one again. To rub salt in to our wounds, we gave away a needless penalty, which was duly converted to leave the final score 4-2. A big, big test of character now over the coming weeks as we turn our attention back to our fight to stay in Division 1. We thank Magheraveely for coming back to the Glencar after the game and we wish them all the best for the remainder of the season.

Comments are closed.