Lisbellaw United 1-2 Tummery Athletic (aet)

Lisbellaw United 5-4 Killen Rangers
8th September 2019
Beragh Swifts 3-0 Lisbellaw United
29th September 2019
Show all

Lisbellaw United 1-2 Tummery Athletic (aet)

We exited the Junior Cup on Saturday following a spirited performance against Tummery Athletic, eventually going down 2-1 after extra time. The opening exchanges were fairly uneventful with no clear openings for either side. However, Tummery were first to threaten when Ryan Hanna headed over, and shortly afterwards Aidy McCaffrey clipped the top of the bar with another header. At the other end, Robbie Little turned sharply and tested the Tummery keeper from distance, but his shot was easily gathered. Then, Aaron Lindsay got in behind their left back and pulled a teasing ball right across the six yard line but no one was on hand to apply the finishing touch. On the half hour mark, Aaron Lindsay then stole possession from their left back and got to the bye line once again, and another super cross just evaded the onrushing Sam Lindsay at the back post. Jamie Coalter, still in the area from a previous corner, was next to threaten when he took a great first touch but was denied by a last ditch tackle by Ciaran Beacom. So we went in scoreless at half time in what was a fairly even first half.


We came out of the blocks fast at the start of the second half and went in front in the 48th minute, when Ryan Lindsay finished off a fine move after being teed up by Robbie Little. After this we enjoyed a sustained spell of possession and created several other openings. The best of which fell to Little after a fine run by Sam Lindsay, but his shot was easily gathered by the Tummery keeper. Lindsay had waltzed past two or three defenders and was just about the pull the trigger himself but left it to Little who fired low but too close to Catterson. We were unable to add to our lead, but we were looking very comfortable defending our one goal advantage. Danger man Enda Ferris was introduced by Tummery and he played in McCaffrey who fired inches wide, but apart from that we were well in control of the match. However, we scored a very unfortunate own goal with about 10 minutes remaining. Ciaran Beacom showed great endeavour when he made a surging run in to our box, but was well tackled by the outstanding Tom Wilkins. However, the ball cannoned off Beacom and spun up in to the air, and on its way down it hit the post and bounced off the unfortunate Lewis Vance and in to the back of the net. Before the end of the 90 minutes, there was more incident when Ferris and Ryan Lindsay were both shown red cards during a mass brawl, which seemed to be very harsh on Lindsay who didn’t seem to be involved in the incident.


In extra time, Tummery seemed to adjust to playing with 10 men better than what we did and very nearly went in front only for a goal line clearance by Kelvin McElroy in the first half of extra time. In the second half of extra time, Tummery were awarded a free kick on the edge of the area, which McCaffrey curled right in to the bottom corner. We didn’t have much time to create another meaningful chance, the closest we came after that was a header from Matthew Woods at the back post, but he was well off target. Tummery nearly added a third with the last kick off the game but Sam McDonald made a fine save from a McCaffrey shot. An encouraging performance but a very disappointing result. Massive thank you everyone who came out to support us and best wishes to Tummery in the next round.

Comments are closed.