Lisbellaw United 1-3 Beragh Swifts

Lisbellaw United 2-0 Dergview Reserves
1st December 2019
Lisbellaw United 2-3 Enniskillen Town
26th January 2020
Show all

Lisbellaw United 1-3 Beragh Swifts

We suffered a disappointing 3-1 defeat at home to Beragh Swifts on Saturday afternoon. We started fairly well, but Beragh soon worked their way in to the contest. Our best chance arrived when Adam McKenna pulled the ball back to Sam Lindsay, but his low drive was saved by the visitors keeper. However, shortly after Beragh went ahead when a free kick was only partially cleared and the ball was toe poked past Sam McDonald. We did equalise fairly quickly, a pin point Jamie Coalter free kick from nearly 30 yards nestling right in the top corner. Sam McDonald made two brilliant saves to keep the scores level, both times pushing the ball on to the woodwork.


At the start of the second half Sam Lindsay nutmegged his marker which left him and Paul Elliott in a 2 vs 1 situation, but his square passed was slightly over hit and the chance was wasted. At this stage, the game was fairly end to end with neither side able to dominate in difficult conditions. Beragh did go ahead though with probably the only real moment of quality in the game when a neat passing exchange left Stephen Browne with a chance which he buried in to the roof of the net. Straight from the restart, an inch perfect Andrew Reilly pass was controlled superbly by Kevin McElroy but he shot lacked enough power to beat the keeper. We then thought we’d equalised again when Willy Armstrong arrived at the back post and from no more than a yard out he bundled the ball through the keepers legs and over the line. However, the keeper clawed the ball out and with the referee unable to see exactly what happened, he decided not to award the goal. Moments later Beragh were reduced to 10 men as Browne was shown a straight red card following an off the ball incident. We huffed and puffed after this but couldn’t find the equaliser. Scott Moutray curled a beauty from the edge of the box that went agonisingly wide, and then three times in quick succession we were adjudged offside when in promising positions, and all three decisions looked to be incorrect.


As we were pushing forward, Beragh hit us on the break and Aaron Lindsay slid in to prevent a cross, which resulted in a Beragh free kick in a wide position. From the delivery, we failed to clear the ball properly and following a bit of a scramble, Johnny Maybin pounced to fire home with the help of a massive deflection to make the score 3-1. Overall, a fairly flat performance in which we probably could have come away with a point but we certainly didn’t do enough to justify winning the match. That leaves us with 15 points from our opening 12 matches and we enter the Christmas break sitting in mid-table.

Comments are closed.